For help starting a tree on Ancestry®, see Getting Started, Lesson 1: Starting Your Tree.
Ancestry used to sell and support Family Tree Maker software, a family tree program that can be installed on your computer. In 2016, Ancestry announced the purchase of Family Tree Maker by Software MacKiev. Family Tree Maker is now sold and supported by Software MacKiev.
Does Family Tree Maker 2019 sync with Ancestry®?
Yes. In 2016, we announced the purchase of Family Tree Maker software by Software MacKiev and continued to support Family Tree Maker for a year, working closely with MacKiev to make sure you'd have the ability to upload, download, and sync Family Tree Maker to Ancestry.
What you should know:
- In March of 2017, Ancestry and MacKiev permanently retired TreeSync and replaced it with FamilySync, a new syncing technology available in Software MacKiev’s Family Tree Maker 2017.
- Family Tree Maker editions prior to 2017 are no longer able to sync with Ancestry trees, but older software is still usable as a standalone program.
- Ancestry search, merge, and hints will continue to work in Family Tree Maker 2019.
Where do I go for Family Tree Maker support?
All Family Tree Maker questions should be directed to Software MacKiev, but any questions involving an Ancestry account, username, or password should be directed to Ancestry.
Contacting Software MacKiev
Because Family Tree Maker still syncs with Ancestry, a small segment of Family Tree Maker questions (those involving signing in to your Ancestry account or adjusting your Ancestry membership) can be addressed only by Ancestry. Below is a list of common reasons for contacting Ancestry, along with articles that may be useful:
For more help with issues that can only be addressed by Ancestry, please give us a call.
How can I continue to connect Family Tree Maker to Ancestry®?
You'll need Family Tree Maker 2017 or 2019; with these versions, you can sync Ancestry trees, search Ancestry records, and receive Ancestry Hints®.
These features are available in Family Tree Maker 2019:
- Syncing your trees in Family Tree Maker to your Ancestry trees
- Searching Ancestry’s databases and merging data into your tree
- Viewing Ancestry Hints®
- Uploading and downloading a trees
- Web dashboard Information
- The interactive map
- Viewing sources on Ancestry
Where can I buy Family Tree Maker 2019?
Family Tree Maker 2019 for Mac and Windows is sold at MacKiev.com.
Do I need to re-register with Software MacKiev?
Unless you're a member of the European Union, you don't need to re-register with Software MacKiev. If you’re a resident of a country in the European Union, you can re-register on MacKiev.com.
Sign up for the Family Tree Maker mailing list to keep up to date about new product introductions, free updates, and discounted upgrades.